Thursday, September 13, 2012

Super Mario Party Theme


For my son's 1st birthday party, we decided to go with a Mario theme to match his nursery. And maybe also because we are geeky enough to have really wanted to throw a Mario themed party.  I thought I would share some of the ideas I came up with.

Super Mario Brother's Party Invitation

I enjoy creating my own cards and such, so I decided to try and make my own invitation instead of using a stock one from online. The above is what I came up with.  I had this picture of my son in his overalls and it reminded me of the Mario overalls. His shirt was brown, but that was easy enough to change in Photoshop. I added the G to the front of his overalls and found a picture of the Mario hat online and added that as well. I also took out the background (my husband and our living room) and added the Mario hills.  I downloaded several Mario-ish fonts from the internet and used those to create the text on the side. I wanted to keep it fun.



These were so much fun to come up with and create. I've seen so many of those 2-Liter labels on different sites, but never Mario themed soda. So I put my thinking cap on and started coming up with ideas for the names.  Mountain Boo is my favorite...hehe!  Once I came up with several ideas, I selected my favorite, found Mario art online and got to creating. I used a Word document set to landscape, inserted the Mario art, and used a Mario font to add the names. I printed these out onto 8.5X11 paper and used double sided tape to stick them onto the bottles. You may need to crop off some of the paper to make it fit on some of the bottles, depending on the shape.  They were very easy to make, but I think add a lot of fun.



A simple star balloon that I found on Pinterest.



I just used primary colored card stock to make this banner. To make the letters, I used one of the Mario fonts again and printed out the words onto primary colored card stock and then cut them out and attached them to the banner with double sided tape. I used red yarn to string the banner.



A friend who has a cake business made this cake for us. The mushroom on top is a cupcake. We used it for the smash cake.  The cake was tasty and so cute!



The smash cake.



I made a onesie for him to wear. I just bought the plain white Gerber onesies from Walmart.  I used the freezer paper method to make this...I printed a picture of a 1UP mushroom onto freezer paper, cut it out to make a stencil, ironed it to the onesie, and then used fabric paint/paint pens to color in the design.  I also added "1UP" below the mushroom but forgot to get a picture of it.  I used the Mario font and freezer paper method to add it.



For door prizes, I decided to do a "Guess how many" game.  I used Cinnamon jelly beans (readily available at Easter time), Swedish Fish, White speckled malted milk eggs (Easter time again), and Marshmallow bananas (and also an Easter candy).  Not sure what happened to my picture of the other 2 jars.  I used the same method as above for the 2 liters to make these labels. I used cleaned out sauce jars to hold the candy.

Fire Flower Seeds - jelly beans
Cheep Cheep Chews - swedish fish
Yoshi Eggs - malted milk eggs
Donkey Kong's Banana Peels - marshmallow bananas

Guests placed their guss of how many candies were in each jar and the closest guess got to take the jar of candy with them.



Sticking with the theme, I made labels for some of the food items. We made some buffalo chicken dip and called it Bowser's Blazing Buffalo Chicken Dip.


I hope you enjoyed these ideas and that it has inspired you to do your own Mario party. I love seeing the different ideas that people come up with.  If you do a Mario Party, I would love to see your pictures.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I must say that this Super Mario Party Theme looks outstanding. From the cake to the décor, everything is stunning. I personally think that this theme is just perfect to go with for hosting my son’s first birthday bash. I would be throwing this party for him at the garden Chicago event venues and hoping that it will turn out to be very enjoyable for everyone.

    ReplyDelete